Reclamation Center & Recycling Frequently Asked Questions

  1. I accidentally threw out an item in the trash. Is there a way to retrieve it?
    In the event of a lost item in the trash, it is advised to call the garbage company that picks up your trash. Give them your address and ask if the truck has been to the landfill yet. Be sure to ask for the License Plate Number (not just the truck number) of the truck. If the truck has not been in, ask what time the truck is due at the landfill. It is imperative to show up along with (or before) the truck, which contains your item. If at all possible, call the landfill prior to coming out 732-683-8686 ext. 5141, 5600, 5601 to make arrangements. Read more.
  2. Are there fees for residents to dispose of waste at the Reclamation Center?
    Yes, there are fees that apply to both commercial haulers and residents. Go to the fee page for  details.
  3. Do I need to make an appointment to drop off items at the HHW?
    Appointments are not required. The HHW Facility is free to residents, but you must show proof of residency.
  4. I have old paint I need to throw out. How can I dispose of it?
    Latex paint is not hazardous waste. Please dry it out and dispose with your regular household trash collection. For more information about paint disposal, please click here.
  5. Does the Reclamation Center accept asbestos?
    Yes, but there are regulations that both residents and commercial must follow. For loads more than 5 cubic yards (more than 25 bags), the Reclamation Center must be called at least 5 days prior to disposal. For smaller loads (25 bags or less) notice must be given 24 and 48 hours prior to the asbestos disposal. Know the type of asbestos when making your appointment (i.e. Friable or Non Friable). Call the scale office at 732-683-8686 ext. 5141, 5600 or 5601 to schedule an appointment. Asbestos is accepted for disposal from 10 a.m to 1 p.m. on Wednesdays and at 9 a.m. only on Saturdays. Read more.
  6. Can I throw out electronic items in the regular trash?
    No, state law prohibits disposal of computers and TVs with trash. Please dispose these items at a Electronics Recycling site. The Recycling Guide contains the site locations.
  7. Can I dispose of grass clippings at the Reclamation Center?
    Grass cannot be mixed with waste, but is accepted at a special grass site located at the center. It can be brought in during normal business hours. Fees are $36.50 per ton.

Copyright © 2024 Monmouth County, NJ. All Rights Reserved.Privacy Policy and Disclaimer