40A:4-3. Annual budget
The governing body of each local unit shall adopt a budget for each fiscal year. The budget of each local unit shall be prepared on a cash basis unless otherwise permitted by law.
40A:4-4. Procedures for adoption of budget
All budgets shall be introduced, approved, amended and adopted by resolution passed by not less than a majority of the full membership of the governing body.
The procedure shall be as follows:
- a. Introduction and approval.
- b. Public advertising.
- c. Public hearing.
- d. Amendments and public hearings, if required.
- e. Adoption.
40A:4-5. Introduction and approval
The governing body shall introduce and approve the annual budget:
- a. In the case of a county, not later than January 26 of the calendar fiscal year.
- b. In the case of a municipality, not later than February 10 of the calendar fiscal year; and, in the case of a municipality which operates on the State fiscal year, not later than August 10.
The budget shall be introduced in writing at a meeting of the governing body. Approval thereof shall constitute a first reading which may be by title. Three certified copies of the approved budget shall be transmitted to the director within three days after approval.
Upon the approval of the budget by the governing body, it shall fix the time and place for the holding of a public hearing upon the budget.
40A:4-7. Time of public hearing
No budget shall be adopted until a public hearing has been held thereon and taxpayers and all persons having an interest therein shall have been given an opportunity to present objections.
Such hearing shall be held not less than 18 days in the case of a county, and not less than 28 days in the case of a municipality, after the approval of the budget.
40A:4-8. Public hearing
The public hearing shall be held at the time and place specified in the advertisement thereof, but may be adjourned from time to time until the hearing is closed.
The budget shall be read, at the public hearing in full, or it may be read by its title, if
- 1. At least one week prior to the date of the hearing, a complete copy of the approved budget,
- a. shall be made available for public inspection, in the case of a county budget, in each free public library, if any, in each municipality of the county and in the free county libraries or regional libraries of the county or, in the case of a municipal budget, in the free public library, if any, of the municipality and in the free county libraries or regional libraries located in the municipality or, if no county libraries or regional libraries are located in the municipality, the county or regional library of the county in which the municipality is located, and the public officer delegated the responsibility for delivering copies of the approved budget to such libraries shall forward to the governing body an attestation that each such delivery was made, and
- b. is made available to each person requesting the same, during said week and during the public hearing, and
- 2. The governing body shall, by resolution passed by not less than a majority of the full membership, determine that the budget shall be read by its title and declare that the conditions set forth in subsections 1.a. and 1.b. of this section have been met.
After closing the hearing, the governing body may adopt the budget, by title without amendments, or may approve amendments as provided in N.J.S. 40A:4-9 before adoption.
- a. Amendments to budgets required by the director may be made prior to the time of holding the public hearing on the budget, without public advertisement.
- b. The governing body may amend the budget during or after the public hearing. All amendments shall be read in full and shall be forthwith submitted to the director.
- c. Except as provided in subsection e. of this section, no amendment by the governing body shall be effective until taxpayers and all persons having an interest therein shall have been granted a public hearing thereon, if such amendment shall:
- 1. add a new item of appropriation in an amount in excess of 1% of the total amount of appropriations as stated in the approved budget, or
- 2. increase or decrease any item of appropriation by more than 10%, or
- 3. increase the amount to be raised by taxes by more than 5%, unless the same is made to include an emergency temporary appropriation only.
Notice of hearing on any amendment shall be advertised at least three days before the date set therefore. Any such amendment must be published in full or by a summary pursuant to subsection d. of this section in the same manner as an original publication and must be read in full at the hearing and before adoption.
- d. The governing body of a municipality or county may satisfy the publication requirements for an amendment by publishing a summary stating the main provisions of the amendment and the location, telephone number and office hours of the principal municipal or county building where copies of the amendment are available and the name of the person or office to be contacted if a person wants to receive a copy of the amendment by mail. The summary shall be published in the manner provided in subsection b. of section 12 of P.L.1995, c. 259 (C. 40A:4-6.1).
- e. Amendments to budgets required by the director after certification of State aid amounts, for the purpose of appropriating State aid revenue to be received by the municipality in the local budget year that may have the effect of reducing the amount required to be raised by taxation for local purposes, may be made without public advertisement or public hearing.
No budget or amendment thereof shall be adopted unless the director shall have previously certified his approval thereof. Final adoption shall be by resolution adopted by a majority of the full membership of the governing body, and may be by title where the procedures required by sections 40A:4-8 and 40A:4-9 or section 12 of P.L.1995, c. 259 (C. 40A:4-6.1), as applicable, have been followed.
The budget shall be adopted in the case of a county not later than February 25, and in the case of a municipality not later than March 20 of the calendar fiscal year or September 20 of the State fiscal year, except that the governing body may adopt the budget at any time within 10 days after the director shall have certified his approval thereof and returned the same, if such certification shall be later than the date of the advertised hearing.
If, in the case of a municipality which operates on the State fiscal year, the governing body fails to adopt the budget within the permitted time, the chief financial officer of the local unit shall so notify the director the next working day after the expiration of the permitted time.
Three certified copies of the budget, as adopted, shall be transmitted to the director within three days after adoption.
Upon adoption, the budget shall constitute an appropriation for the purposes stated therein and an authorization of the amount to be raised by taxation for the purposes of the local unit.
The following State Budget Submission is placed on the Internet as a matter of convenience. The State Budget Submission has been reformatted to HTML for use on the Internet; physical appearance may differ from that of the printed State Budget Submission. In the event of discrepancies, individuals should refer to the printed State Budget Submission.
Capital budget amendments supercede pages 39-39d of the adopted budget of the year of the amendment, as well as, any previously adopted capital budget amendments for that year.
2021 County of Monmouth Budget Introduced and Approved on February 11, 2021
2020 County of Monmouth Budget Amendment #2 Adopted on July 9, 2020
2020 County of Monmouth Budget Amendment #1 Adopted on April 21, 2020
2020 County of Monmouth Budget Adopted on April 7, 2020
Click here for Historical Adopted Budget Documents (1999-previous year)