Essay Contest Information
2022-2023 School Year Essay Contest Teacher Form
ESSAY CONTEST CONTEST THEMES:
The Monmouth County Historical Commission is pleased to announce an essay contest to promote historic preservation and history. Alternate themes are offered this year.
1) Write about a historical place that you have visited and how that place helped you to appreciate our county and/or national history.
2) Write about an event that is important to your family’s history (your grandparents’ generation or earlier) and tell why.
ELIGIBILITY & RULES
1. Entry is open to all Monmouth County fifth grade students.
2. Depict the above themes in about 300 words describing the place or family event and how it impacts your appreciation for Monmouth’s history, national history or family history.
3. Students must write legibly in ink or type on one side of letter sized paper only. The back of the page must contain the student's name, age, school address, school telephone number and teacher's name. Do not place the student’s name on the front page since the contest is judged anonymously. All submissions should include a title header about the subject matter.
**Teachers: Please enclose a typed list of participating students' names.
4. DEADLINE - ENTRIES MUST BE POSTMARKED NO LATER THAN MARCH 3, 2023.
5. Mail Entries to:
MONMOUTH COUNTY HISTORICAL COMMISSION
HALL OF RECORDS ANNEX, 2ND FLOOR
1 EAST MAIN STREET
FREEHOLD, NJ 07728
Attn: Kaitlyn Peterson
6. All entries will become the property of the Monmouth County Historical Commission.
7. Places need not be major historical sites but should have some importance to history.
8. Criteria for judging – writing skill, accuracy and neatness.
Awards will be presented as follows:
1ST PLACE - $100 Book Store Gift Card
2ND PLACE - $75 Book Store Gift Card
3RD PLACE - $50 Book Store Gift Card
All participants will receive a Certificate of Participation.
Winners will be notified by early May 2023 with a request for permission
to use the student’s name and image in County press releases.